Skip to content
Visits to the herbarium
- For the study of specimens, the BC herbarium at the Botanical Institute of Barcelona (IBB) offers a consultation room for researchers. Consultation is restricted only to researchers from recognized scientific research institutions.
- To arrange a visit please contact in advance with the curator of BC herbarium, Dr. Neus Ibáñez, either by phone (+34 932890611) or e-mail (email@example.com).
- It is important to mention the purpose of the visit and the material to be consulted. Thus, the herbarium staff will ensure the presence of the requested material in the herbarium.
- Before the visit, please check the visitor policy of the herbarium. If destructive samplings of specimens are necessary, please consult policies on this issue.
- Daily opening hours of the herbarium are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Work sessions outside of this schedule can be arranged if requested with sufficient time in advance.
- The study of the specimens will be done in the consultation room equipped with magnifying lenses, power sockets and Wi-Fi network.
- No restaurant service is available at IBB, but there are vending machines with snacks as well as hot and cold drinks. It also has a dining room with kitchen tools and microwave oven.
- Consult how to arrive to the Botanical Institute at the location page.
- The BC Herbarium only accepts loan applications coming from recognised scientific institutions.
- Requests must be made using a formal letter by the Herbarium Curator or the institution’s head, who is responsible for the safe custody and return of the material. This formal letter must be sent by e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or post mail (Pg. Migdia s/n, 08030 Barcelona).
- The request must indicate the name of the researcher who will work with the material. It is also important to indicate the nature and scope of the study, taxa required and geographic area of interest. The Curator reserves the right not to attend requests that do not provide the necessary guarantees.
- Before doing a request, please consult to the loan regulation policy.
- Type specimens as well as specimens from historical collections (with the exception of Sennen collection) are not available for loan.
- The researcher must do an image request to the Curator of BC Herbarium, Dr. Neus Ibáñez, by e-mail (email@example.com).
- The request must include details on the nature and scope of the study, taxa requested and geographical area of interest. If the request comprises a high number of images, the Curator of BC Herbarium reserves the right to decline it.
- Before doing a request, it is recommended to consult the images that are available online.
- The commercial use and redistribution of these images requires the explicit consent of the herbarium curator of BC and may only be used as part of research and scientific publications. Reference must be given to BC herbarium and copyright has state unequivocally “© Institut Botanic de Barcelona. (CSIC-Ajuntament de Barcelona). Reproduction authorized”.
- If any publication contains IBB’s images, it is necessary to send two copies to the library of the Institute.
- The destructive sampling request must be duly justified indicating its purpose along with the estimated amount and nature of the material to be extracted. The final decision corresponds to the herbarium Curator who will issue the sampling permits required in advance.
- The applicant researcher must sign an authorization abiding all sections that the regulation includes.
- Please, note that the destructive sampling of herbarium specimens should be an exception and never a rule, therefore we will previously assess if there are other sources of the material.
- No material may be taken from type specimens or taxa that are represented by few specimens in the herbarium.
- The policy of the IBB on such samples follows the rules adopted in the ordinary session of the General Assembly of the Associación de Herbarios Ibero-Macaronésicos (AHIM) on 23th November 2012.